Radiation Safety for Fixed Nuclear Gauge Users
This course examines the basic skills necessary for practical radiation protection in an occupational environment utilizing fixed nuclear gauges. Course participants will receive a course manual which is theirs to keep. Upon completion of the course a course certificate will be awarded.
- Basic design and construction of nuclear gauge
- Basic radiation theory
- Properties of various sources used in nuclear gauging
- Biological risks associated with ionizing radiation
- The CNSC and relevant regulations
- ALARA and occupational dose limits
- Basic radiation dose control techniques
- Proper use of a radiation survey meter
- Lockout/installation/removal of nuclear gauges
- Leak testing nuclear gauges
- Emergency response
If your organization uses handheld radiation detection instruments, it is suggested that the participants bring the instrument with them to the course if possible.