Fixed Nuclear Gauges in Portable Applications
This online course is intended for personnel involved with the use and transport of fixed nuclear gauges in a portable application such as well and pipe servicing in the oil and gas industry. Topics such as installation, removal and leak testing of the source holder are also added for those companies that perform these activities with their nuclear gauges. Students complete the course at their own pace, however the student must successfully complete all review exercises and a final quiz in order to pass the course. It is estimated that 6 to 8 hours would be necessary to finish the course. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be issued a Class 7 TDG certificate and a wallet card.
- Radiological fundamentals - the basics on radioactivity, radiation and the units used to measure them
- The biological effects of radiation exposure - the effect radiation has on the body over the short and long term
- The design and operation of a nuclear gauge - the general design and operating principle behind a fixed nuclear gauge
- Radiation protection strategies - the basic strategies used to control radiation exposure
- Radiation detection instrumentation - the use and care of survey meters and dosimeters
- Canada's regulatory framework - topics include licensing, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, the radiation safety officer and dose limits
- Operational procedures - best practices associated with the use and maintenance of a fixed nuclear gauge including installation, removal and leak testing source holders
- Transporting radioactive material - the necessary controls and measures for transporting a fixed nuclear gauge. The requirements for transporting Type A packages by road are specifically included in this section.
- Emergency response procedures - the necessary actions for responding to emergencies with a fixed nuclear gauge
Compatible with Common Web Browsers:
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher (Windows or Mac)
* Netscape 6.0 or higher (Windows or Mac)
* Apple Safari 1.1 or higher
* Broadband (high-speed) internet access is recommended
* Latest plug-in for Adobe Flash player (for video and animations)
* Student requires a valid e-mail address in order to be registered in the course.