Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) Training
Our course offerings are updated regularly. Continue to check back to see which courses are available.
This course examines the role of the RSO for licenses using sealed sources of radioactivity (radiography excepted) and the radiation safety, administration and regulatory skills needed to effectively carry out this position. Course participants will receive a course manual which is theirs to keep. Upon completion of the course a course certificate will be awarded.
- Role of the RSO
- Basic introduction to radioactivity and radiation
- The biological effects of radiation
- Instruction on basic radiation protection strategies
- Basic instruction on radiation detection instrumentation
- Introduction to the regulatory framework
- Discussion on the Nuclear Safety and Control Act
- Discussion on the General Nuclear Safety Regulations
- Discussion on the Radiation Protection Regulations
- Discussion on the Nuclear Substances and Radiation Devices Regulations
- Completing a licence application
- Discussion on the CNSC compliance program and licensing fees
- Annual compliance report, inspections and audits
- Duties common to the position of RSO
- Components of an effective radiation protection program
Please bring a calculator capable of handling exponents. Some basic algebra skills are also required to handle some of the calculations presented during the course.